This site is intended for Healthcare professionals only.

Medico-Legal Tip of the day-26th  Oct 2015

View All DiscussionsCategory: Medico LegalMedico-Legal Tip of the day-26th  Oct 2015
asked 1 year ago

Query- I am a Asst professor cardiology in Govt general hospital, vijayawada.I was asked by  an investigating officer of a medicolegal legal case, sub inspector for opinion regarding the treatment given in an private hospital on the case sheet basis .Are we entitled to give such opinions without the direction of the court?
Is it going to be challenged again that another senior member of a medical team can contradict.
Dr Karthik Tummala
Asst professor cardiology  ,Govt general hospital ,Vijayawada
Answer- Please do not give your valuable opinion on some papers produced by sub-inspector of police as he is not following rules. Opinion regarding medical negligence has to be given by a board of doctors constituted by a competent authority or by medical council.
Your opinion can be produced in the court and judge may ask you on what authority you have given the report. It may cause harassment to you if your opinion is in conflict with board opinion. It is better to avoid activism in govt job.
Next time , if somebody from police approaches for your opinion, just refer him to Medical Supdt or Director of hospital.

With warm regards,
Prof ( Dr ) R K Sharma
Medico-Legal Consultant
President, Indian Association of Medico-Legal Experts , New Delhi
Former Head, Department of Forensic Medicine, All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Director , Supreme Medico-legal Protection Services Pvt Ltd
e mail
tel no 0091-9891098542
315 , Hemkunt Chambers.
89, Nehru Place
New Delhi- 110019
tel 011-41660642