This site is intended for Healthcare professionals only.

Medico-Legal Tip of the day-27th  Oct 2015

View All DiscussionsCategory: Medico LegalMedico-Legal Tip of the day-27th  Oct 2015
asked 1 year ago

Query- Here I share a problem. We do Xrays for RTA pts in our nursing home. Treat them as per requirement. In medicolegal cases,try to get the Xray report from a radiologist. But at times radiologists refuse to oblige us by reporting,as they know that they shall have to go go court as well for evidence,and a lot of time is wasted in courts. Many a times we have been preparing xray report ourself in fracture cases, and handing over to police. We have also appeared in courts to give evidence. So far there has been no problem.
What is solution when we don’t have radiologist to give report, though we can treat the pts on the basis on these xrays.
Dr Suresh Arora ,Ortho Surgeon ,Faridabad
Answer- Since you are having a small set up like a nursing home , you can continue as such. In cases of obvious fractures , you can justify them in court easily but in doubtful cases , do take help from radiologist . Please remember court would rely on radiologist opinion rather than ortho surgeon for x-ray .
So far as treatment is concerned , ortho surgeons need  not necessarily depend on radiologist opinion, they can use their own clinical judgement.
In case of evidence in court , just admit that you are not an expert in X-rays but still you read ortho x-rays very easily.

With warm regards,
Prof ( Dr ) R K Sharma
Medico-Legal Consultant
President, Indian Association of Medico-Legal Experts , New Delhi
Former Head, Department of Forensic Medicine, All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Director , Supreme Medico-legal Protection Services Pvt Ltd
e mail
tel no 0091-9891098542
315 , Hemkunt Chambers.
89, Nehru Place
New Delhi- 110019
tel 011-41660642