This World Piles Day, Let's Vouch to Strike the
CORE of Hemorrhoidal Disease.
Human beings have suffered from hemorrhoids since they have started to walk, and hemorrhoids are described in both Old Testament and Buddhist scriptures. Some known mentioning of this affliction are the existence of doctors treating hemorrhoids in Egyptian palaces in 2500 BC, treatment records of both Edwin Smith Papyrus (1700 BC) and Ebers Papyrus (1500 BC), and treatment records in India, China, Greece, and Rome
Hemorrhoids, which are characterized by symptomatic expansion and distal displacement of the usual anal cushions, are commonly encountered forms of anorectal disease. They are a significant medical and socio-economic issue affecting millions worldwide.
Piles / Hemorrhoids may come with Various Presentations
Hemorrhoids have a strong link to Chronic Venous Disease(CVD)
Chronic venous disease (CVD) affects a large portion of the general population and is a persistent, progressive, and generally unnoticed condition with significant socio-economic,physical, and psychological consequences. A wide range of venous disorders that substantially impair blood return is included under CVD...
Treatment modalities of the hemorrhoidal disease range from lifestyle management to surgical management based on the disease's intensity and the case's demands.
Hemorrhoidal disease (HD) is a form of an anorectal disease characterized by symptomatic enlargement and/or distal displacement of the healthy anal cushions known....
Hemorrhoids management can be both Medical or Surgical
Hemorrhoids is a common, multifactorial anorectal disease affecting millions worldwide and one of the oldest proctological illnesses...
Hemorrhoidal disease (HD) is a common cause of anal pathology, but its exact prevalence is difficult to determine as patients are often reluctant to seek ..
Micronized Purified Flavonoid Fraction (MPFF) has a major role in Management of Piles / Hemorrhoids
- MPFF improves venous tone and lymphatic drainage by modulating noradrenergic signaling and reducing nore-pinephrine metabolism 7,8
- It also reduces capillary hyper-permeability and improves capillary resistance in patients with abnormal capillary fragility, leading to further improvement of
A systematic review of the literature indicates that micronized purified flavonoid fraction (MPFF) can reduce bleeding, pain, anal discomfort, anal discharge and pruritus in patients with acute HD, and can reduce pain,bleeding duration and the requirement for analgesics in patients undergoing surgery for HD
MPFF has been shown to be effective and well tolerated in all grades of HD, either as a first-line treatment in combination with dietary modifications, or as an adjunct in patients recovering from hemorrhoidectomy.
Guidelines Recommend Management of MPFF in HD Treatment
- The Association of Colon & Rectal Surgeons of India (ACRSI) - Recommends In its clinical practice guidelines for the management of hemorrhoids, MPFF as a first-line treatment for grade I–II and selected/minor grade III hemorrhoids 11. MPFF treatment is strongly recommended (grade A), with an evidence level of 1 (indicating high-quality evidence from well-performed randomized trials).
- The American Gastroenterological Association - Recognizes MPFF as the pharmacological treatment of reference, citing its efficacy in reducing the symptoms and signs of HD.
- The Russian Association of Coloproctology - Gives MPFF a Grade B (Evidence level 1a) recommendation for the treatment of HD in its clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of hemorrhoids.