NEW DELHI: The Delhi government will provide jobs to six acid attack victims, an official said on Wednesday.
“The Delhi government’s health ministry today (Wednesday) informed DCW that it will give employment to six acid attack victims,” a Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) official told IANS.
He said DCW chief Swati Maliwal met Health Minister Satyendar Jain last month and gave him the resumes of acid attack victims regarding their employment in the department.
“She also sent the resumes of acid attack victims to several other departments of the government among which the health department responded first,” the official said.
“However, any written communication from the ministry in this connection is yet to be received,” the official added.
Happy with the government’s move, Laxmi, the face of the Stop Acid Attacks campaign, said the decision sent a very positive message to the acid attack survivors.
“I would like to thank the government for the step it has taken. It’s excellent that it is providing jobs to acid attack survivors. Thanks to Swati Maliwal for taking the initiative to help the survivors,” Laxmi told IANS.
Laxmi had received a 2014 International Women of Courage award from the US First Lady, Michelle Obama.
She also suggested that the government should help the acid attack survivors complete their higher studies.
“The government should consider helping the survivors complete their higher education that would allow them to get better jobs in the future. The survivors fail to complete thier education as most of their time gets spent in treatment,” she said.
“We would wait for the government to send us the names of the survivors who are selected for the jobs,” said Laxmi, who is also a founding member of the famous Agra-based Sheroes Cafe run by acid attack survivors.