Azovas ( Azelnidipine) is a third-generation calcium channel blocker and is used in the treatment of Hypertension. Azovas is marketed by J.B. Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd. and comes in two doses namely Azovas 8 mg and Azovas 16 mg.
Azelnidipine is a dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker and is known to be less susceptible to hepatic first-pass effect and its antihypertensive effect is slow sustained. This drug expresses hypotensive action by L-type and T-type Ca+ channel antagonism and blood vessels dilation.
Stage I Hypertension
Stage II Hypertension
Usually, Azelnidipine 8 ~ 16 mg in adults administered orally once after breakfast daily. It is to be noted that start the administration with a low dose or even with a single 8 mg tablet, dose should be adjusted according to the symptoms, up to 16 mg per day
Azelnidipine should not be administered in the following patients:
Women who may possibly be pregnant or are pregnant (Download Productproduct for details)
Patients with a history of hypersensitivity to any component of this drug
If combined with azole antifungals, (Itraconazole, Miconazole, etc.), HIV protease inhibitors (Ritonavir, Saquinavir, Indinavir, etc.) (Download Leaflet for details).
- Careful administration (It should be administered with caution in the following patients.)
- Patients with serious liver and kidney dysfunction. The drug is metabolized in the liver
- Also in patients with severe renal dysfunction in general, there is a possibility that the renal function is reduced
- Elderly (See section “Use in Special Population” in Product Leaflet for details)
- Important Precautions
- When administration of calcium antagonists stopped abruptly, it have been reported that patients develop symptoms, which reduced gradually when with washout of the drug, it should be carefully monitored. Also, be careful not to stop the medication without a physician’s supervision to the patient.
- Because with the administration of this drug there is a risk of excessive decrease of pressure in rare cases, make appropriate measures such as dose reduction or withdrawal from medication in such cases.
- Because it may cause dizziness based on the hypotensive effects, take precautions when working with dangerous operation of aerial work, automotive and machinery.
- Myocardial infarction, arrhythmia and heart failure (atrial fibrillation, etc.) have been reported during treatment with this drug, though causal relationship is not clear.
- It has been reported that dialysis effluent of CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis) patients becomes clouded, it is important to note the differential diagnosis from peritonitis, etc.
Download the Product Leaflet, to see the detailed drug interactions.
Download the Product Leaflet, to see the the detailed information on the Undesirable Side effects/ Overdose.
Download the Product Leaflet, to see the details on Pharmacodynamic and Pharmacokinetic Properties of Azovas