Rantac MPS Suspension (Magaldrate and Simethicone Oral Suspension) is an acidity and heartburn medicine indicated in multiple conditions including Gastritis and dyspepsia, Gastric and Duodenal ulcers, Drug induced gastric irritation, Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux, Heart burn, Upset stomach characterized by pain, burning, nausea and flatulence . It is manufactured and marketed by J. B. Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Rantac MPS Suspension is a Fixed dose combination medicine of Magaldrate and Simethicone Oral Suspension. Magaldrate rapidly neutralizes acid and has sufficient buffering capacity to provide sustainedactivity. It reduces gastric and duodenal irritation and also binds bile salt and pepsin. Simethicon is an anti-gas (anti-flatulence) medication. It acts in the stomach and intestinesto change the surface tension of gas bubbles, enabling smaller bubbles to join together into bigger bubbles. In this way it is believed that gas can be eliminated more easily by belching or passing flatus( see product Leaflet).
- Gastritis and dyspepsia
- Gastric and Duodenal ulcers
- Drug induced gastric irritation
- Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux
- Heart burn
- Upset stomach characterized by pain, burning, nausea and flatulence)
10-20 ml three or four times a day, on empty stomach, or as directed by a doctor.
- It is best to take them with food as the buffering effect in the stomach lasts for 2 to 3 hours.
- If symptoms occur at night, then they are usually administered before retiring.
- However, it is more important not to eat within 2 hours of sleep as eating often promotes reflux of acid into the esophagus.
FDC of Magaldrate and Simethicone is contraindicated in
- Hypersensitivity to any of the ingredient.
- Patients with severe renal dysfunction, hypophosphatemia, nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, acute surgical abdomen impaction and/or an intestinal obstruction.
- Patients taking citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids and laxatives)
- Patients with impaired renal functions.
- Patients with known hypersensitivity to magnesium and aluminium.
Magaldrate and Simethicone Suspension should be used with caution in patients with renal impairment to avoid hypomagnesemia and toxicity or in patients with recent massive upper GI hemorrhage. Care should be taken in hypophosphatemia.
Download Leaflet to see detailed warnings and precautions.
Antacids do interact with or prevent the absorption of many medications. As a general rule it is best to separate antacid use and any other medication by at least 1 hour. When antacids are only taken occasionally, this seldom presents a serious problem.
Download the Product Leaflet, to see the detailed drug interactions.
Undesirable side effects may include Encephalopathy, Constipation, chalky taste, stomach cramps, fecal impaction, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, discoloration of feces (white speckles), rebound hyperacidity, loss of appetite and certain other Endocrine & metabolic, Neuromuscular & metabolic, and miscellaneous side effects
Download the Product Leaflet, to see the detailed information on the Undesirable Side effects/ Overdose.
Download the Product Leaflet, to see the details on Pharmacodynamic and Pharmacokinetic Properties of Rantac MPS