FNB Fetal Radiology: Admissions, Medical Colleges, fees, eligibility criteria details
FNB Fetal Radiology or Fellow of National Board in Fetal Radiology also known as FNB in Fetal Radiology is a doctoral fellowship program for doctors in India that is done by them after completion of their postgraduate medical degree course. The duration of the FNB course is for 2 years.
The fellowship course in fetal radiology is targeted at developing experts in Fetal Imaging with abilities to perform a complete range of diagnostic imaging and interventional procedures in this field.
On completion of the course, the candidate shall be capable of delivering the highest quality of patient care by making an early and accurate diagnosis and guiding subsequent management, becoming clinically competent, and being able to pursue both clinical and experimental research in this field.
The course is a full-time course pursued at accredited institutes/hospitals which are Kovai Medical Centre, Coimbatore, and ESIC Medical College Hospital and Super Specialty Hospital, Sanath Nagar, Hyderabad.
Candidates can get admission to 2 years FNB course after successfully qualifying for the FET (Fellowship Entrance Test) examination which is conducted by NBEMS. FET is conducted annually as per the prescribed schedule. The merit-based counseling for admissions to the FNB Programme after the conduct of FET is administered by NBEMS.
The fee for pursuing FNB Fetal Radiology varies from accredited institute/hospital to hospital and is around Rs.1,25,000 per year.
After completion of their respective course, doctors can either join the job market. Candidates can take reputed jobs at positions as research fellows, Senior residents, Consultants, etc. with an approximate salary range of Rs.50 lakhs to Rs. 80 lakhs per year which varies according to experience.
The Nomenclature of the FNB qualification awarded by the National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences is “Fellow of National Board”. The FNB qualifications are recognized qualifications in terms of the Gazette notification dated 10th August 2016.
What is FNB in Fetal Radiology?
FNB in Fetal Radiology is a two-year doctoral fellowship program that candidates can pursue after completing a postgraduate degree.
Fetal radiology is targeted at developing experts in Fetal Imaging with abilities to perform a complete range of diagnostic imaging and interventional procedures in this field.
The National Board of Examinations (NBE) has released a curriculum for FNB Fetal Radiology.
The curriculum governs the education and training of FNB Fetal Radiology.
The Fetal Radiology Fellowship curriculum is designed to provide an opportunity for Radiologists with an organized, comprehensive, and supervised education in fetal radiology. This shall also provide an opportunity for selected Radiologists to further develop their fetal imaging and intervention skills with competency in prenatal diagnosis, counseling, and management of various fetal anomalies integrating the various modalities of radiological and allied investigations.
Here are some of the course highlights of FNB Fetal Radiology
Name of Course
FNB Fetal Radiology
Duration of Course
Minimum Academic Requirement
Candidates must have a postgraduate medical Degree in MD/DNB Radiodiagnosis obtained from any college/university recognized by the Medical Council of India (Now NMC)/NBE. This feeder qualification mentioned here is as of 2022. For any further changes to the prerequisite requirement please refer to the NBE website
Admission Process / Entrance Process / Entrance Modalities
Entrance Exam (FET)
Merit-based counseling administered by NBEMS
Rs.1,25,000 per year
Rs. 50 lakhs to Rs.80 lakhs per year
3. Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for FNB in Fetal Radiology are defined as the set of rules or minimum prerequisites that aspirants must meet in order to be eligible for admission, which includes:
Name of Fellowship course
Prior Eligibility Requirement
· The feeder qualification for FNB Fetal Radiology is defined by the NBE and is subject to changes by the NBE.
· The feeder qualification mentioned here is as of 2023.
· For any changes, please refer to the NBE website.
·There is no upper age limit for training in NBEMS Fellowship courses.
The admission process contains a few steps to be followed in order for the candidates for admission to FNB. Candidates can view the complete admission process for FNB Fetal Radiology mentioned below:
- FET is a qualifying-cum-ranking examination for admission to Fellow of National Board (FNB)/Fellow of National Board - Post Doctoral (FNB-PD) courses.
- The selection of a student will be through an MCQ-based examination namely Fellowship Entrance Test.
- A student can apply for the fellowship courses for which his/her broad or super specialty qualification/ equivalent qualification is eligible, at the time of online submission of the application form.
- The total duration of the question paper will be 105 minutes (Part A - 45 minutes and Part B - 60 minutes).
- QUALIFYING CRITERIA: Students who obtain a minimum of 50th Percentile in their respective question paper/specialty shall be declared as “Qualified”.
- NBEMS shall declare a specialty-wise merit list i.e., there will be a separate merit list for each fellowship course. There shall not be any equating/scaling and normalization. The merit shall be generated strictly on the basis of marks obtained by the student and application of the prescribed tie-breaking criteria.
- The admission to Fellowship courses in the accredited hospitals shall be undertaken solely on the basis of merit-based counseling conducted by NBEMS.
- Documents required to be produced at the time of counseling: MBBS Degree Certificate and MD/MS/DNB/DM/MCh/DrNB Degree Certificate/Provisional Pass Certificate of eligible Post Graduate Medical Qualification issued.
The fee structure for FNB Fetal Radiology varies from accredited institute/hospital to hospital. The fee is generally less for Government Institutes and more for private institutes. The average fee structure for FNB Fetal Radiology is Rs.1,25,000 per year.
Colleges offering FNB Fetal Radiology
No. of Accredited Seat(s)
Accreditation Valid up to*
ESIC Medical College Hospital and Super Specialty Hospital
Kovai Medical Centre
FNB in Fetal Radiology is a two years specialization course that provides training in the stream of Fetal Radiology.
The course content for FNB Fetal Radiology is given in the NBE Curriculum released by the National Board of Examinations, which can be assessed through the link mentioned below:
1. Ultrasound in Obstetrics
a. Ultrasound techniques and ultrasound physics
b. Embryology of fetus
c. Anatomy of Fetus and Female genital system
d. Physiology of conception/ ovulation/ implantation/ Embryogenesis/ fetal development/ uteroplacental, placento-foetal, internal fetal vascular dynamics.
e. Biochemistry and aneuploidy markers, pregnancy-induced hypertension markers, preeclampsia markers, miscarriage markers.
f. Incidence, epidemiology, and Pathology pertaining to various fetal anomalies
g. Basic obstetric ultrasound like Introduction to Dating of pregnancy at different gestations, Biometry, First-trimester diagnosis and screening, Cervical screening, Fetal well-being, Placental localization and grading, and Amniotic fluid index
h. Advanced obstetric ultrasound:
• Ultrasound at 5-7weeks,
• Ultrasound at 7-10 weeks,
• First Trimester Aneuploidies Scan,
• 11-14 weeks Early Morphology Scan,
• First Trimester Screening for Preeclampsia and FGR,
• TIFFA scan (targeted imaging for fetal aneuploidy)
• Second Trimester Anomalies Scan,
• Fetal Echocardiography,
• Fetal Neurosonography,
• Cervical Elastography
• 3D and 4D Fetal Evaluation,
• Fetal Growth Evaluation and Ultrasound Based Delivery Decisions.
• Imaging of Fetal Hydrops.
• Imaging of Multiple Pregnancies - imaging protocols, complications, Doppler, scoring of staging in TTS, TRAP, etc.
• Imaging of Placenta, Membranes, and amniotic fluid
i. Doppler- Normal and abnormal forms at various gestational ages and interpretations. Doppler of uterine arteries, umbilical artery, middle cerebral artery, aortic isthmus, ductus venous, umbilical vein, placental vasculature.
j. TVS: TVS in early pregnancy, 1st trimester and 2nd trimester, ectopic gestation, gestational trophoblastic neoplasia,
k. TVS in Infertility - Diagnostic TVS -2D,3D, elastography, Therapeutic TVS, Oocyte aspiration, Guided FNAC, BIOPSY, Aspiration of abscess
l. Cervical incompetence evaluation
2. Prenatal Diagnosis, Interventional Procedures, and Therapy of Various Abnormalities of Above Systems:
a. Noninvasive screening
b. Invasive screening: Chorionic villus sampling (CVS), amniocentesis, amnioreduction, amnioinfusion, Cordocentesis, fetal reduction, laser coagulation etc.
c. Prenatal/Fetal therapy: the candidate should be familiar with Blood product transfusion, Transplacental medication, Laser or radiofrequency ablation of vascular anastomoses, Shunt placement, Extensive fetal surgery, etc.
3. Fetal MRI - Physics, techniques, and interpretation of fetal MRI.
4. Genetics in Obstetrics - Protocol-based history, reports analysis, risk analysis, counseling, discussion about complications, cost, etc.
5. PC - PNDT Act: Thorough knowledge of PC - PNDT act and its amendments from time to time. VIII. PNDT compliance learning (form A, F, G, D, register, signage, and following non-disclosure of fetal sex).
a. Protocols and various national &international guidelines for various ultrasound scans.
b. Principles of radiation and ultrasound safety
c. Principles of drug and environment fetal teratogenicity
d. Artificial intelligence in fetal evaluation
e. Personal development and management skills – Communication, team building and appraisal skills.
After completing FNB Fetal Radiology, candidates will get employment opportunities in Government and the Private sector.
In the Government sector, candidates have various options to choose from which include Junior research fellow, Teaching at academic medical centers, and Consultants.
While in the Private sector, the options are Fellow (Fetal Radiology), Junior research fellow, Senior Research fellow (Fetal Radiology), and Consultants (Fetal Radiology).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) –FNB Fetal Radiology Course/ FNB in
Fetal Radiology Course
- Question: What is the complete form of FNB?
Answer: The full form of FNB is a Fellow of National board.
- Question: What is FNB Fetal Radiology?
Answer: FNB in Fetal Radiology or Fellow of National Board in Fetal Radiology is a doctoral fellowship program for doctors in India that they do after completion of their postgraduate medical degree course.
- Question: What is the duration of FNB in Fetal Radiology?
Answer: FNB in Fetal Radiology is a doctoral fellowship program of two years.
- Question: What is the eligibility of FNB in Fetal Radiology?
Answer: The candidate must have a postgraduate medical Degree in MD/DNB Radiodiagnosis obtained from any college/university recognized by the Medical Council of India (Now NMC)/NBE.The feeder qualification mentioned here is as of 2022. For any further changes to the prerequisite requirement please refer to the NBE website.
- Question: What is the scope of FNB Fetal Radiology?
Answer: FNB Fetal Radiology offers candidates various employment opportunities and career prospects.
- Question: What is the average salary for an FNB Fetal Radiology candidate?
Answer: The FNB Fetal Radiology candidate’s average salary is between Rs.50 lakhs to Rs. 80 lakhs per annum depending on the experience.
- Question: Can you teach after completing FNB Fetal Radiology Course?
Answer: Yes, the candidate can teach in a medical college/hospital after completing the fellowship.