The RashtriyaArogyaNidhi (RAN) has been set up vide Resolution No. F-7-2/96-Fin-II dated 13/1/1997 and registered under the Society Registration Act, 1860, as a Society. The RAN was set up to provide financial assistance to patients, living below poverty line and who are suffering from major life threatening diseases, to receive medical treatment at any of the Government super speciality Hospitals/Institutes or other Government hospitals. The financial assistance to such patients is released in the form of ‘one-time grant’, which is released to the Medical Superintendent of the Hospital in which the treatment has been/is being received. An illustrative list of categories of treatment provided from the fund is given below. All Government hospitals/institutions are covered for treatment to poor patients under Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi.
An illustrative list of categories of treatment to be provided from this fund
(This list is reviewed by the Technical Committee from time to time )
1.Cardiology& Cardiac Surgery:
- CRT/Biventricular pacemaker
- Automatic Implantable Cardioverter defibrillator (AICD)
- Combo devices
- Diagnostic Cardiac Catheterization including Coronary Angiography
- Interventional procedure including Angioplasty, Balloon Valvuloplasty e.g. PTMC, Aortic & Pulmonary BallonValvulotomy, FFR, IVUS etc.
- ASD, VSD and PDA device closure
- Angioplasty including Peripheral Vascular Angioplasty, Aortic Angioplasty, Renal Angioplasty
- Coil Embolization and Vascular plugs
- Stents, Bare metal Stents as well as Drug Eluting Stents
- Electrophysiological Studies (EPS) and Radio Frequency (RF)
- Heart surgery for Congenital and Acquired conditions including
C.A.B.G, Valve replacement etc.
- Vascular Surgery
- Cardiac Transplantation etc.
- Cancer :
- Radiation treatment of all kinds including Radio Therapy and
Gama Knife Surgery.
- Anti-Cancer Chemotherapy supportive medication and antibiotic,
- Bone Marrow Transplantation- Allogenic& Autologous
- Diagonostic Procedures- Flow cytometry/cytogenetics /IHC Tumour
- Surgery for cancer patients
- Dialysis and its consumable (Both haemodialysis as well as Peritoneal)
- Plasmalpheresis including all consumbales.
- Vascular access consumables (AV Grafts, catheters including perm catheters) for Dialysis
- Renal transplant-cost of renal transplant varies, ceiling rate may be followed as per CGHS rates.
- Lithotripsy ( for Stones)
- Treatment of Acute Humoral/Cellular Rejaection in kidney transplant.
- Treatment of Rapidly progressive Glomerulonephritis, Nephritis and Vasculitis.
- Liver Transplantation and Surgery for portal hypertension.
- Artificial prosthesis for limbs
- Implants and total hip and knee replacement
- External fixaters
- AO implants, used in the treatment of bone diseases and
- Spiral fixation Implant- Pedicle Screws (Traumatic,
- Implant for Fracture fixation (locking plates & modular)
- Replacement Hip –Bipolar /fixed
- Bone Substitutes
- Neurosurgery – Neurology :
1 Brain Tumors
2 Head injuries
3 Intracranial aneurysm
4 Vascular Malformations of brain & spinal cord.
5 Spinal tumors
6 Degenerative /Demyelinating diseases of brain/spinal cord
9 Movement disorders
10 Neurological infections
11 Traumatic Spine Injury
12 Occlusive Vascular Disease of Brain
- Cases of complicated diabetes which require one time treatment
e.g. amputation or renal transplant
- Hypo pituitarism
- GH deficiency
- Cushings Syndrome
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Endocrine surgery
- Mental Illness :
- Organic Psychosis acute and chronic
- Functional psychosis including Schizophrenia, Bio-polar disorders, delusional disorders and other acute polymorphic psychosis
- Severe OCD, Somatoform disorders, eating disorders.
- Developmental disorders including autisms spectrum disorders and Severebehavioural disorders during childhood.
- Psycho diagnosis, neuropsychological assessments, IQ assessments, blood tests like serum lithium and drug level of carbamazepine, valporate, phenytoin and any other similar medications: CSF studies screening for substances or abuse/toxicology.
Other major illness/treatment/intervention considered appropriate for financial assistance by Medical Superintendent/Committee ofDoctors could be considered for grant.
Revolving funds have been set up in 12 designated Central Government Hospitals/Institutions and funds upto Rs. 50,00,000/- (fifty lakhs) are placed at their disposal for providing treatment to the BPL patients suffering from life threatening diseases.
Financial powers delegated to 12 designated Central Government Hospitals/Institutions have been enhanced from Rs. 2lakh to Rs. 5lakh for providing financial assistance in cases where emergency surgery is required.