Mumbai: – In a freak accident at the prestigious Nair hospital here, a 32-year-old man died after he got sucked into an Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine at the hospital in Mumbai.
The man, identified as Mr Rajesh Maru, age 32 was carrying an oxygen cylinder as he accompanied his elderly relative who was being treated at the hospital. As the man was holding the oxygen cylinder, he got sucked into the machine with its high magnetic force, which caused the cylinder to burst. Maru died within minutes, after inhaling excessive amount of leaked oxygen.
Maru’s relative blamed the hospital authorities’ negligence for his death, pointing out that while the ward boy told Maru to remove all metal before going in the room, he allowed the oxygen cylinder
“He went there to visit my ailing mother. A ward boy told him to carry an oxygen cylinder with him to MRI room which is prohibited.
It all happened because of the carelessness of hospital’s doctors and administration. No security guard was either present to tell him that he should not carry oxygen cylinder with him to MRI room,” Maru’s brother-in-law, Harish Solanki told ANI.
“As he entered the room the MRI machine sucked him in due to the magnetic force as he had oxygen cylinder with him. He died within two minutes. No hospital authority has approached us accepting their mistake,” he added.
The family members, locals and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA MP Lodha also staged a protest inside the hospital dean’s cabin.
An FIR was registered against the hospital’s doctor Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and one lady ward attendant Sunita Surve under Section 304 A (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) who were arrested by the police in the evening. The hospital authorities have also handed over the CCTV footage of the incident to the police.
On a related note, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced a compensation of Rs. 5 lakhs for the family of the victim.