Rejects application of over 60 medical colleges
Medical Council of India (MCI), in its summary of executive committee report dated 13/06/2015 , rejected a huge amount of applications in the best interests of the medical profession. Majority of the applications has been rejected, after careful assessment by the team of MCI assessors. Citing shortage of staff, administrative reasons, or infrastructure deficiencies for the cancellation-after review by the compliance assessors-as per the deficiencies highlighted in the executive report.
There seems to be an acute shortage of staff (in few cases going up to 43% deficiency), as well as shortage of residents by as high as 73% in certain applications filed by the medical colleges. In other cases, there are many unique points such as forgery of doctor’s certificates or fake attendance of doctors and patients, during the site inspection, which has led to the legal consequence of pending applications by MCI.
Few of the medical colleges, who did not get the permission for renewal or increase intake of seats from MCI are listed below:
- Renewal of permission for MBBS course for 2nd batch (100 seats) of Govt. Medical College, Palakkad, Kerala
- Renewal of permission for MBBS course for 3rd batch (100 seats) of Vardhman Institute of Medical Sciences, Pawapuri, Nalanda, Bihar
- Renewal of permission for MBBS course for 3rd batch (100 seats) of ESIC Medical College, Joka, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Establishment of new medical college at Akathumuri, Varkala, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala by S.R. Educational & Charitable Trust, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala with an annual intake of 100 students
- Assessment of the physical and other teaching facilities available for recognition/approval of Indira Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute, Puducherry for the award of MBBS degree (150 seats)
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry – Renewal of Permission for admission of 2nd Batch of MBBS students against the increased intake i.e. from 100-150 for the academic session 2015-16.
- Vaishmpayan Memorial Govt. Medical College, Solapur – Renewal of Permission for admission of 3rd Batch of MBBS students against the increased intake i.e. from 100-150 for the academic session 2015- 16.