Doxycycline: The Secret Weapon of the physician
In an era of impending antibiotic resistance, anti-microbial agents continue to remain valuable, most utilized, and often most abused pharmacological agents. Scientific research and global development institutions have always kept up with the unmet needs against infections. Their powers may eventually wane in the face of dreadfully emerging antibiotic resistance.
However, clinicians contribute to making antimicrobial agents potent and viable for a longer span through a transparent review of durable antibiotics and thereby facilitating their prudent use. Doxycycline potentially remains one such antimicrobial agent in a practitioner's armamentarium.
The above article has been published by Medical Dialogues under the MD Brand Connect Initiative. For more details on Doxycycline, click HERE
1. Natasha E. Holmes, Safety and Efficacy Review of Doxycycline, Clinical Medicine: Therapeutics 2009:1 471–482
2. Majewski M, A current opinion on the safety and efficacy of doxycycline including parenteral administration – A review. Pol Ann Med. (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.poamed.2013.12.001
3. WHO releases the 2019 AWaRe Classification Antibiotics https://www.who.int/medicines/news/2019/WHO_releases2019AWaRe_classification_antibiotics/en/
4. World Health Organization Model List of Essential Medicines, 21st List, 2019. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2019. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO
5. Adopt AWARE Portal, WHO Release, URL: https://adoptaware.org/