NEET 2021 candidates demand re-exam, CBI probe into scam
New Delhi: Recently a group of applicants and parents of applicants have approached the National Testing Agency (NTA) demanding a re-conduction of the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), which was held on September 12.
The candidates have cited several reasons including the change in the exam pattern, the clash of the exam with several state-level CETs and various board examinations, the alleged paper leak etc. to point out why re-conduction of the exam is necessary.
Further demanding an investigation in the scams related to the NEET exam, the representation by the students added, "Therefore it is requested to go for a probe into this matter and strict action should be taken against the beneficiaries involved in this matter and also intervention of CBI is requested for immediate action."
NEET is the centralized common entrance test, which was introduced in India for admitting medical students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. This year, the exam got delayed due to the second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic and was re-scheduled to be held on September 12.
However, citing the clash of the exam date with several other board exams, and the change in the exam pattern, several candidates were demanding for the deferment of the exam. However, NTA confirmed that the exam couldn't be deferred and it was conducted on the due date.
Meanwhile, the exam was followed by several news related to paper leak and impersonation scams and PTI had earlier reported that the Jaipur Police arrested a candidate for cheating in the exam and the invigilator for taking photos of the paper and sending it to others via Whatsapp.
Following this, students started being vocal about the issue and few of them started demanding that the exam should be conducted once again.
However, Medical Dialogues had earlier reported that the NTA DG denied calling the Jaipur incident a leak and clarified that the conspiracy involved only one girl student and it cannot be called a leak since the paper didn't go to someone else.
Now, the students have approached the NTA and submitted a representation before the testing agency seeking a re-conduction of the examination and a CBI probe into the alleged scams.
The students pointed out the following points-
1) The sudden change in the exam pattern just prior to 2 months before exam had caused stress among students. We need some more time to adapt ourselves to the new exam pattern since this was the medical entrance exam held across the country only once a year for admission to Medical Colleges across India. The said concern is demonstrated by the fact speed and accuracy matter and each mark in the exam was vital in determining the admission prospects of applicants.
2) NEETUG21 exam dates were very near to state level CETs and various board examinations. Students can face various problems regarding travel issues to center for exam on consecutive days. Different formats require different alignment different alignment and fine tuning of approach. The existing schedule virtually nullified the opportunity to appear in subsequent examination for a student.
3) CBSE had hold Improvement Exams and Private exams between 16th August-15th September (Physics Exam- 09/09/2021 and Math's Exam- 13/09/2021). Students appearing for board exams and NEET exam would be excluded. Eligibility clauses in information brochure released by National Testing Agency would demonstrate the same.
4) The alleged paper leak or cheating issues was first reported in a center in Rajasthan RIET college and the paper was circulated in electronic means to other place for preparation of answer keys as given in the Annexture 1.
5) On 7th September 2021 our representative had submitted a written draft to NTA office regarding conduction of NEET Phase- 2 and it was said that a response would be given within 24 Hours to 48 Hours but no official response has been received till now.
6) It is very unfortunate and sad news coming various parts of the country regarding alleged paper leak of NEET UG 2021 that was already completed on 12th September 2021 from 2.00 PM- 5.00 PM and various arrests that are being made by Rajasthan police on this matter. This is a matter of grave concern regarding the student's future and a breach of sanctity & Security of the examination.
7) In 2015 Honorable Supreme Court had directed the then conducting agency for AIPMT i.e. CBSE board to nullify the validation of the ss and answer keys were circulated by electronic means and ordered Re-conduction of examination.
8) Also in 2016 Honorable Supreme Court cleared decks for holding NEET in 2 phases for the academic year 2016-2017 with May 1 AIPMT exam as Neet Phase 1 and Neet Phase 2 for all candidates who wished to appear.
9) In 2020 Honorable Supreme Court (Diary No: 21529 / 2020) judgment the honorable bench of Supreme Court had ordered to conduct NEET UG Phase – 2 for Covid positive students and also for those who missed the exam due to restriction imposed in containment zones.
10) According to the petition filed by a section of students (Diary No: 20653 / 2021) the honorable bench had given order that "If the petitioners so desire, are free to make representation on its own merits and in accordance with the law at the earliest". The competent authority are free to decide at earliest.
Pointing out these factors, the students have demanded a re-conduction of the exam and a probe into the matter along with the intervention of CBI.
It should be mentioned in this context, that recently a panel formed in Tamil Nadu listed down the problems with the NEET exam and the State assembly passed a bill scrapping the test.