Fellowship Entrance Test, FET 2021 for FPIS: NBE invites applications from International Students, View all details here
New Delhi: The National Board of Examinations has invited applications for Fellowship Entrance Test, FET 2021, Fellowship Programme for International Students.
National Board of Examinations shall be conducting Fellowship Entrance Test (FET) – 2021 on 14th March 2021 for International students for admissions to various Fellowship (FNB) courses.
The Fellowship courses of NBE shall be offered to International Students under FPIS (Fellowship Programme for International Students). Applicants from countries other than India shall be eligible for admission to FNB seats ear-marked for FPIS, subject to fulfilment of eligibility criteria for FET 2021-FPIS.
The Examination shall be conducted as a Computer Based Test (CBT) at International test centres (depending upon applicant locations once received and shall be notified separately) and at New Delhi in India.
Please refer to the belowmentioned details pertaining to eligibility criteria, fee structure, scheme of examination etc.
A. Important Dates
Availability of Information Bulletin
4th January 2021 Onwards
Online Application Submission
4th January 2021 (3 PM Onwards) to 3rd February 2021 (Till 11:55 PM)
Test Centre Selection, Fee Payment and Edit Window
22nd February 2021 to 26th February 2021
Final Edit Window to rectify Deficient Images:
4th March 2021 to 5th March 2021
Issue of Admit Card
8th March 2021
14th March 2021
Declaration of Result
by 31st March 2021
B. Post Doctoral Fellowship Programme for International Students
Well-equipped Centres have been identified and accredited by NBE in the concerned sub-specialties. Students with DNB/MD/MS/ MCh/DM qualification in the concerned specialty are eligible for fellowship programme. Selection to the fellowship programme is based on an entrance test and admission to the courses will be through centralized merit-based counselling. The trainee will go through a structured training programme, maintain a performance record book and undergo an examination at the end of the training. Students will be awarded Fellow of National Board of Examinations (FNB) at the annual convocation of NBE.
NBE offers Post-doctoral fellowship courses with following objectives:
i. To facilitate and encourage post-graduates aspiring to learn skills and competencies in their area of interest.
ii. To provide highest quality of specialty services comparable to any country in the world.
iii. To recognize "Centre(s) of Excellence" and to identify experts in various sub-specialties and allied sciences.
iv. To create a forum for high level scientific interaction between expert groups.
v. To facilitate and encourage our young post-graduates aspiring to provide for higher level of specialized services in own country.
vi. To prevent brain drain of qualified medical professionals leaving our country for further academic achievements.
vii. To improve and promote the existing medical institutions in India to perform high professional services in various fields.
viii. To promote medical research and Innovations adaptable to the socioeconomic status and culture of our country.
ix. To conduct evaluation by appropriate mechanism for assessment of training programme examination before certification as specialist by the National Board of Examinations.
Recognition of FNB qualifications
The Nomenclature of the FNB qualification awarded by the National Board of Examinations is "Fellow of National Board". The FNB qualifications are recognized by MCI vide Gazette notification dated 10th August 2016. (Annexure A)
Courses offered by NBE for Fellowship Programme for International Students (FPIS):
1. Hand and Micro Surgery
2. Maternal and Foetal Medicine
3. Infectious Diseases
4. Interventional Cardiology
5. Minimal Access Surgery
6. Pediatric Hemato Oncology
7. Reproductive Medicine
8. Spine Surgery
9. Sports Medicine
10. Trauma and Acute Care Surgery
C. Information for Students
1. FET 2021 - FPIS is a qualifying-cum-ranking examination ONLY for INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS to secure admission to Fellow of National Board (FNB) courses of 2020 admission session. Students shall be admitted to FNB Courses for 2020 admission session.
2. Students may kindly note that appearance in FET 2021 - FPIS does not confer any automatic rights to secure a Fellowship seat. The selection and admission to Fellowship Programme in any National Board of Examinations Accredited institution running FNB courses is subject to fulfilling the admission criteria, eligibility, medical fitness and such criteria as may be detailed in the information bulletin.
3. Students are advised to read the Information Bulletin carefully and go through the instructions regarding submission of online application form given in the information bulletin as well as on FET 2021 - FPIS index page on NBE website www.nbe.edu.in before starting online submission process for FET 2021-FPIS.
4. Students are deemed to have read, agreed and accepted the Information Bulletin and the terms and conditions in the information bulletin for FET 2021-FPIS on completing the online submission of application form.
5. A student can submit FET 2021-FPIS application form only once. Any student found to have submitted more than one application form for FET 2021-FPIS shall be debarred from FET 2021-FPIS, his/ her candidature shall be cancelled and further action as deemed appropriate by NBE shall be taken.
6. Students should ensure that all the information entered during the online submission of application form is correct and factual.
1. Examination Fee
Examination Fee (Inclusive of GST)
*Excluding charges as may be applicable by various payment gateways.
2. Applications forms once submitted cannot be withdrawn. Fee shall neither be carried forward to a future date nor refunded under any circumstances. Application once submitted cannot be withdrawn. Any claim for refund, adjustment or carrying forward of Application fee will not be entertained.
3. How to pay: The prescribed exam fee should be remitted through payment gateway provided using a Credit Card or a Debit Card or other modes as may be made available and have been provided on the web page. Fee can not be deposited through any mode other than the payment gateway available while submitting online application form submission.
4. Examination fees in respect of students who are absent or have been declared ineligible due to any reason will be forfeited. Students are advised to read the information bulletin for FET 2021- FPIS carefully and satisfy the terms and conditions for fulfilment of eligibility criteria before proceeding for payment of fees.
E. Eligibility Criteria
The student must meet/fulfil the following criteria:
1. The student should possess post graduate medical qualification equivalent to the eligible feeder qualification as mentioned in the Annexure B of this Information Bulletin for the corresponding Fellowship course. The Degree Certificate of eligible Post Graduate Medical Qualification should have been issued on or before 31st December 2020.
2. The qualification of the student should be a registered qualification in his /her own country. The qualification of the student should be included in National Medical Commission Act/ the Second Schedule or Part II of Third Schedule of the repealed Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 which can be seen at the website of National Medical Commission www.nmc.org.in
3. The student should be a registered medical practitioner in his/her own country.
4. The eligible student who has qualified the entrance examination shall have to obtain clearance from appropriate authorities (Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Home Affairs, Local police) and will have to obtain temporary registration with National Medical Commission (NMC) before they are permitted to join any FNB course.
5. The National Medical Commission may, on payment of the prescribed fee for registration, grant temporary registration for the duration of the Post Doctoral course limited to the medical college/institution to which he/she is admitted for the time being exclusively for pursuing postdoctoral studies. Provided further that temporary registration to such foreign national shall be subject to the condition that such person is duly registered with appropriate registering authority in his own country where from he has obtained his PG Medical qualification, and is duly recognized by the corresponding Medical Council or concerned authority.
6. A visa support letter shall be issued by NBE to facilitate appropriate and valid travel visa and travel medical insurance.
7. All international students are required to submit "No Objection Certificate" from their Medical council /Government for appearing in the examination and permission for working in India for the period of Fellowship based on valid travel document (passport) and valid permission (visa).
8. Eligibility of students issued admit card for the examination shall be purely provisional. Appearing in FET 2021-FPIS does not confer any automatic rights upon the student for admission to FNB courses.
9. There is no age limit for training in Fellowship courses.
F. Admit Card & Test Day Procedures
1. Admit Card: Admit cards shall be made live on National Board of Examination website www.nbe.edu.in on 8th March 2021. Admit cards will not be issued to students found ineligible.
2. Students will be informed through SMS/Email alerts and website notice regarding availability of the admit card on National Board of Examinations website. Admit card will not be sent to the students by Post/Email.
3. Students are required to download their admit card from the NBE website and affix firmly their latest passport size photograph in the space provided on the admit card. The photograph must meet following specifications:
• Size of photograph : Minimum 35x45 mm (and not larger than the box printed on admit card for pasting the photograph) with at least 75% area on the photograph should be occupied with the face & head of the student.
• It should be a Colour photograph with white background
• The photograph needs to display full front view of the face with a neutral expression. No Caps, Stethoscope, Goggles, Ornaments to be worn.
• The photograph should not have reflection or shadow on the face with red eyes.
• The photograph needs to be printed on a high quality paper with at least 600 dpi Resolutions.
• The photograph must not have kinks, scratches and stains.
4. Test Day Procedures: National Board of Examinations shall be conducting the Social Distanced - Computer Based Test (SD-CBT) in safe and secure environment using touch free processes maintaining social distancing norms wherever needed. National Board of Examinations reserves its rights to review the test day processes of conduct of CBT in wake of changing scenario of COVID-19 pandemic.
5. Entry of Students as per Time Slots given in the Admit Cards: Students are required to report at the 'Reporting Counter' of test venue at as per time indicated in their admit cards. To avoid crowding at the test venue entry, there will be staggered time slots for students to report. The reporting counter will close 30 minutes prior to the test start time. This will allow time for security checks, identity verification and checking in for examination.
6. Students reporting late or beyond the prescribed time shall not be allowed to appear in the exam under any circumstances. NBE shall not be responsible for any delayed arrival of the student in reaching the centre due to any reason.
7. Test Centre Location: Exact address and location of the test centres shall be indicated in the admit card. Students are advised to familiarise themselves with the test centre locations at least one day prior to the examination day and ensure that they report for the exam as per scheduled time only.
8. Please note that only the students who have been issued admit card will be allowed entry inside the examination centre premises subject to fulfilment of documentary requirements.
9. Friends or relatives accompanying the students will not be allowed entry in the examination centre premises under any circumstances and will not be allowed to contact the student while the examination process is ongoing.
10.Barcode/QR Code Reader at Entry Points: The student will flash the admit card and ID proof for verification to the exam functionary standing across the table with barcode/QR code reader. Student shall be informed about the assigned lab number. At no time will the exam functionary touch any document of the student.
11.Use of Thermo Guns: All students will be checked at the entry point for fever with the thermo guns. In case, any student is observed to be having above normal temperature (> 99.14 Degree F) or displaying any symptoms of COVID-19 infection, he/she will be allowed to take the examination in a separate isolation lab.
12.Identity checks will be made upon arrival at the test centre to ensure that there are no unauthorized students appearing for the exam.
13.Students MUST bring to the test centre the following documents:
13.1.Printed copy of Admit card with his/her photograph pasted on it.
13.2.Govt issued Passport (must be original and valid/nonexpired):
14.Students without valid ID proof shall not be allowed to enter the examination premises.
15.Unfair means case shall be registered against the students producing false/forged documents/ID Proofs.
16.Security at the test centre: Students will not be allowed to take the following items beyond security check point in examination premises under any circumstances:
• Any stationery item like textual material (printed or written), notes, Plastic Pouch, Calculator, Pen, Writing Pad, Pen Drives, Eraser, etc..
• Any electronic device like Mobile Phone, Bluetooth, Earphones, Microphone, Pager, wrist watch/Health Band, Calculator, Electronic Pen/ Scanner etc.
• All ornaments like bracelets, Ring, Earrings, Nose-pin, Chain/ Necklace, Pendants, Necklace with pendants, Badge, Brooch etc.
• Other items like Wallet, Goggles, Handbags, Belt, Cap etc.
• Any eatable item opened or packed, soft drinks etc.
• Any other item which could be used for unfair means, for hiding communication devices like wireless/Bluetooth device, spy camera etc.
17.Students will be permitted to carry certain items with them to the examination lab:
• Face Mask
• Personal Transparent water bottle (The practice of water dispenser shall be discontinued in SD-CBT; Bottled water shall be made available to all students)
• Personal hand sanitizer in a transparent bottle (50ml)
• Exam related documents (Admit card, ID Card etc) Please read the admit card carefully for items permitted to carry inside the examination centres.
18.No arrangement will be made at the centres for keeping any articles/items belonging to the students. In case any student is found in possession of any of the barred items inside the centre beyond the security check point, it will be considered as use of unfair means and action will be taken against the student in accordance with the relevant provisions. To avoid any hardship students are advised not to bring prohibited items along with them at the test Centre.
19.Frisking (Body pat as well as HHMD) will not be done while social distancing is in effect.
20.Finger Biometrics of students shall NOT be captured at the time of registration for the test at test venue in SD-CBT. However, Photograph of the students shall be captured on the exam day at the centre. Face ID shall be verified at the time of registration for the test and at each bio-break, against the photograph uploaded in the application. Therefore, it is essential to upload a recent photograph in the application as per image upload guidelines prescribed. Students are requested to cooperate with this essential activity to avoid any cases of impersonation. This is a security feature which will ensure that only genuine student appear for the exam. Any student not adhering to the aforementioned security measures will not be allowed to take the test.
21.After verification of ID and capture of Face ID, students will be escorted to the designated computer terminal at the test centre ensuring social distancing and a Invigilator will assist the student for check-in process of the test.
22.Students are required to keep their admit card and photo identification with them at all times during the conduct of examination.
23.Students are required to listen to the invigilator's instructions to begin the exam. Each workstation will be blocked from three sides – front, left and right. Students are advised not to look around at other students as there will be surveillance cameras also that will record video.
24.Any suspicious or disruptive behaviour on part of the student may lead to cancellation of candidature. For any issues during the exam, student may raise his or her hand to notify Invigilator.
25.Manual Attendance with signature and Ink finger print shall not be done in SD-CBT.
26. In case of any technical disruption during the test, rest assured that a registered student will get complete allocated examination time.
Description of failure
Standard actions taken
Disruption happens (e.g Power Failure) during the exam time after the students have logged in (either for one or more students)
No action necessary. The timer will stop when the failure occurs and will resume when the failure is rectified.
There will be no time loss in allocated examination time due disruption/failure.
Student machine is locked during the exam. (e.g Loss of connectivity with the Primary Server)
IT Manager in each exam room verifies and unlocks the students account and the timer starts from the same point where the student had left.
There will be no time loss in allocated examination time due to this locking.
Student complains of any specific issues in the machine (e.g screen flickering, mouse issue, system getting locked/hanged repeatedly etc)
On reporting of the issue , IT Manager/Invigilator verifies and locks the student machine. The student is shifted from their allotted seat to buffer seat in same or other lab during the examination.
There will be no time loss in allocated examination time due to this shifting
G. Result & Counseling
Students who obtain minimum of 50th Percentile in their respective question paper / specialty shall be declared as "Qualified".
2.Date of declaration of result:
The result for FET 2021-FPIS will be declared by 31st March 2021. The result shall be available at NBE website: www.nbe.edu.in
3.The score card shall be available for download to the students through applicant login using NBE ID and Password.
4.There will be NO re-evaluation or rechecking or re-totaling. Requests forre-evaluation/re-totaling shall not be entertained.
5.Validity of FET 2021-FPIS result
The validity of the result of FET 2021-FPIS shall be only for the current admission session i.e. 2020-21 admission session for NBE Fellowship (FNB) courses and cannot be carried forward for the next session of admissions for FNB courses.
6.Tie Breaker Criteria: In the event of students obtaining the same score for a particular fellowship course, the following tiebreaking criteria will be applied to determine inter-se merit in descending order of application till a unique inter-se merit is determined for all such students:
A. Student having lesser number of negative responses in the overall paper will be placed at higher merit position.
B. Student obtaining higher score in Part B of the question paper will be placed at higher merit position. C. Student having lesser number of negative responses in Part B of the question paper will be placed at higher merit position. D. Older student will be placed at higher merit position.
7.Publication of merit list:
NBE shall declare specialty wise merit list i.e. there will be a separate merit list for each fellowship course. There shall not be any equating/scaling and normalization. The merit shall be generated strictly on the basis of marks obtained by the student and application of the prescribed tie breaking criteria.
The admission to Fellowship courses in the accredited hospitals shall be undertaken solely on the basis of merit based counselling conducted by NBE. Details of counselling process shall be notified in due course after result of the entrance examination has been declared.
9.Availability of FNB seats for 2020 admission session
The list of Institutions offering Fellowship Programme for International Students is placed at Annexure – C
10.Documents required to be produced at the time of counseling
• MBBS/Primary Medical Qualification Degree Certificate
• Degree Certificate of eligible Post Graduate Medical Qualification issued on or before 31st DECEMBER 2020.
• Post Graduate Medical Qualification Registration Certificate issued by the Medical Council of respective country.
• No Objection Certificate issued by the Medical Council/Government of respective country for permission to work in India for the period of Fellowship
• Temporary Registration with the National Medical Commission, New Delhi, India for the duration of FNB course
• Valid travel document (Passport) and valid permission (visa).
The list is purely indicative. Please refer handbook of counseling to be published in due course for details.
H. Course Fee and Stipend
a. Course Fee:
1.The annual course fee for International students shall be as under:
International Students from SAARC Nations
International Students from Non SAARC Nations
2.The fee shall be paid by the student only through Demand Draft/ Cheque/ electronic transfer and under no circumstances by cash.
3.The fee has to be paid after the selection of the student but before joining in the allotted training institute.
4.The following minimum stipend shall be payable to the FNB trainees as per National Board of Examinations Stipend Guidelines by the hospital where the trainee is undergoing Fellowship training:
Year Amount of Stipend (INR)
1st year Rs. 41,000/-
2nd year Rs. 43,000/-
5.The FNB trainees shall be paid the basic stipend as mentioned above or the basic stipend according to the State Government policy (whichever is higher).
6.trainees will be required to manage their boarding and lodging and other expenses by themselves.
I. Instructions to Fill Online FET 2021-FPIS Application Form
1. New User Registration: All students desirous of applying for FET 2021-FPIS shall be required to create an online profile of themselves to generate a UserID and Password.
2. Applicant Login: This User ID and Password so created will allow the student to login as an applicant for FET 2021-FPIS and register an online application. The "Go To Application" link will allow the student to continue with the application submission immediately after user creation.
3. If the Login password is lost, it can be retrieved by clicking "Forgot Your Password".
4. Name of Student: Please mention your full name as in Post Graduate Medical Qualification Certificate. Name as entered by the student while creating his/her User ID shall be reflected in a noneditable format in his/her examination application form. No change in the name shall be permissible under any circumstances after submission of an application. The student shall be required to produce his/her Govt issued ID proof bearing same name at the test centre on the test day to seek entry. It is strongly advised not to submit an application with an error in the student's name as it shall not be allowed to be edited after application submission. If the user has entered his/her name wrongly while registering the user, please create another user with correct name.
5. Father's and Mother's Name: Please mention the full name of your Father and Mother carefully while registering the user.
6. Gender and Date of Birth: Indicate your gender and Day, Month & Year of your birth. Please enter the correct date of birth carefully while registering the user..
7. Nationality: Please enter country of your citizenship.
8. Email ID: Email ID chosen by the student shall be verified through a system generated OTP for user creation. Same email ID can not be used for registration of any other user concurrently. Please note that all email correspondence with the student shall be done at this email ID only. Email chosen by the student shall be the primary means to communicate with the student for examination purposes. Information related to examinations shall be sent at this email ID. Students shall also be able to communicate with National Board of Examinations through this registered email only. Correspondence received from any other email ID of the student shall not be entertained. Therefore, students are advised to choose the email ID carefully.
9. Mobile No: Mobile number chosen by the student shall NOT be the primary means to communicate with the student for examination purposes.
10.The UserID/Application ID and password so generated shall be sent to the registered email ID of the student for future records.
11.The index page of FET 2021-FPIS at National Board of Examinations website www.nbe.edu.in provides a quick link, "Applicant Login". The online application form for FET 2021-FPIS can be accessed through this quick link after successful login.
12.The student can login using his/her User ID and Password.
13.The application submission process can be completed either in a single sitting or in multiple sittings, as per the student's choice, during the application submission window. However, once an application is successfully completed & submitted, it shall be available for editing certain field only during the "edit window".
14.Students are advised not to complete their application registration process in a haste so as to avoid any errors in providing information.
15.The student shall be required to provide information as asked under various heads. It is strongly recommended to keep the required information handy before start filing the application. Some of the salient heads in the application form are as under:
16.Upload of Prescribed Documents & Images (Photograph and Scanned Signatures): Please refer Image Upload Instructions available at NBE website www.nbe.edu.in and at the end of this information bulletin for details of specifications for uploading photograph and signatures. Images which are not as per prescribed specification shall not be considered and may lead to rejection of the application.
17.Students shall be prompted to preview the entire application before submission in order to make any corrections, if so required. They shall be required to submit the application after agreeing to the "declaration". This shall complete the entire process of application submission.
18.Acknowledgement of Application Submission : An acknowledgement email shall be sent to the registered email ID confirming submission of an application by the student.
19.Edit Window, Test City Selection and Fee Payment: Students who have successfully submitted their application during Application Submission window shall be allowed to edit their applications during 22nd February to 26th February 2021. No new application can be registered during edit window. Students shall be able to choose their International test city and pay examination fee also during this window itself. Applications of students who fail to make the choice of test city and make the payment of examination fee during this window shall be considered "incomplete" and admit card will not be issued.
20.All editable fields in the application form shall be open for the student to make any corrections, if so required. Details of field which can not be edited are mentioned below.
21.Information entered in the application form can be changed during the "Edit Window". However, following fields in the application form shall remain non-editable:
• Name of the Student
• Email ID
22.No editing in information provided shall be permissible in the application form, once edit window is over. NBE disclaims any liability that may arise due to incorrect information provided by the student during online application form submission.
23.NBE does not edit /modify/alter any information entered by the students at the time of online submission of application form under any circumstances.
24.Subsequent to closure of edit window, deficiency related to images uploaded in the application form, if any, shall be communicated to concerned students. Deficiency related to images uploaded (photograph and Signatures) can be corrected during the final edit window i.e.4th March 2021 to 5th March 2021.
25.Students who fail to submit duly completed applications with requisite documents and/or fail to rectify the deficiencies in their applications by the last date prescribed for rectification shall be declared ineligible. Admit Card shall not be issued to students who are declared ineligible. In such cases, the entire fees will be forfeited.
Summary of Steps in Online Application Form Submission
26.The following sequence shall be observed while filing the online application form:
• Fill the user registration form to generate User ID/Application ID and Password.
• User ID and Password will be sent through SMS and Email.
• Complete the application form and upload your Photograph, Scanned signature & Prescribed documents.
• Choose your Test City and pay Examination Fee
• Agree to the declaration and Submit Application
• Take a print out of the filled Application form with Transaction ID printed on it for records.
To view the official information bulletin and notice, click on the following link: