New Delhi – Fourteen doctors ( inclduing one-duo) have been conferred Padma Shri awards for their contribution to the field of medicne and healthcare as well as one doctor have been honoured with a Padma Bhushan for his contribution to Indian Healthcare. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
Padma Awards – one of the highest civilian Awards of the country, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc. ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field.
These awards are conferred by the President of India at ceremonial functions which are held at Rashtrapati Bhawan usually around March/ April every year. This year the President of India has approved conferment of 112 Padma Awards including one duo case (in a duo case, the Award is counted as one) as per list below. The list comprises 4 Padma Vibhushan, 14 Padma Bhushan and 94 Padma Shri Awards. 21 of the awardees are women and the list also includes 11 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI, 3 Posthumous awardees and 1 transgender person.
While no medical practitioner was conferred Padma Vibhushan This year, one doctor was given a Padma Bhuashan award for his contribution in the field of Medicine- Affodable care . 13 doctors were conferred Padma Shri. Folwing are the detauls of doctors category wise
Shri Ashok Laxmanrao Kukade– Maharashtra- Medicine- Afforable care
- Dr Illias Ali– Assam- Medicine – Illias Ali
- Dr Omesh Kumar Bharti– Himachal Pradesh-Medicine- Rabies
- Dr Mammen Chandy– West Bengal- Medicine- Hematology
- Dr Sandeep Guleria– Delhi- Medicine- Surgery
- Dr Pratap Singh Hardia– Madhya Pradesh- Medicine-Opthalmology
- Dr Sudam Kate– Maharashtra- Medicine Sickle Cell
- Dr Ravindra Kohle– Smita Kohle ( Duo)- Maharashtra- Medicine- Affordable Care
- Dr Shadab Mohammad– Uttar Pradesh- Medicine- Dentistry
- Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee– Jharkhand- Medicine- Affordable Care
- Dr Tsering Norboo– Jammu and Kashmir- Medicine- Surgery
- Dr Jagat Ram– Chadigarh- Medicine- Ophthalmology
- Dr RV Ramani– Tamil Nadu- Medicine- Ophthalmology
- Dr Ramaswami Venkataswami- Tamil Nadu- Medicine- Surgery