New Delhi: Recently, through a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha, minister of state (independent charge) Sh Ashwini Kumar Choubey informed about the Strategic plan to tackle Dengue and Chikungunya.
The number of dengue and clinically suspected chikungunya cases reported in the country during the last three years are as under:
Prevention and control of Dengue and Chikungunya is one of the components of National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme (NVBDCP). The strategies introduced under the programme are:
- Surveillance: Disease and Entomological Surveillance
- Case management: Laboratory diagnosis and Clinical management
- Vector management: Environmental management for Source Reduction, Chemical control, Personal protection and Legislation
- Outbreak response: Epidemic preparedness and Media management
- Capacity building: Training, Infrastructure development and Operational research
- Behaviour Change Communication: Social mobilization and Information Education and Communication (IEC)
- Inter-sectoral coordination: Health and non health sector
- Monitoring and Supervision: Review, field visit, feedback and Analysis of reports
- A network of 618 Sentinel Surveillance Hospitals supported by 16 Apex Referral Laboratories have been established where dengue kits are provided free of cost.
- Advisories are issued to the States for sensitization from time to time.
- Training is given on dengue and chikungunya case management.
- Financial and technical assistance are provided to the States.