Coronavirus: PM Modi recommends AYUSH Ministry advisory for boosting immunity. Here is what it says
New Delhi: While announcing an extension to the nationawide lockdown till the 3rd May, 2020 to increase the social distancing amidst the coronavirus pandemic that is hitting the country and the world, the Prime minister today also recommended on a series of precautions that Indians can take to boost their general immunity. The PM was seen recommending the AYUSH Ministry advisory on the matter
Medical Dialogues had earlier reported that the Ministry of AYUSH had issued an advisory to boost immunity of the system in response to the rising Incidences of Corona Virus that have been reported from various countries as well as India. The main symptoms of novel corona virus disease are fever, cough, and difficulty in breathing. Advisories have been issued for the public to follow the personal hygiene and adopting preventive measures of simple remedies which are commonly used in controlling the respiratory symptoms and strengthening the immunity.
So what does the advisory say?
General Advisory- Ayurveda's immunity boosting measures for self care during COVID 19 crisis
In the wake of the Covid 19 outbreak, entire mankind across the globe is suffering. Enhancing the body's natural defence system (immunity) plays an important role in maintaining optimum health.
" We all know that prevention is better than cure. While there is no medicine for COVID-19 as of now, it will be good to take preventive measures which boost our immunity in these times." stated the advisory
Ayurveda, being the science of life, propagates the gifts of nature in maintaining healthy and happy living. Ayurveda's extensive knowledge base on preventive care, derives from the concepts of "Dinacharya" - daily regimes and "Ritucharya" - seasonal regimes to maintain healthy life. It is a plant-based science. The simplicity of awareness about oneself and the harmony each individual can achieve by uplifting and maintaining his or her immunity is emphasized across Ayurveda's classical scriptures.
Ministry of AYUSH recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health. These are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
I General Measures
1. Drink warm water throughout the day.
2. Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH (#YOGAatHome #StayHome #StaySafe)
3. Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and
Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
II Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
1. Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
2. Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) - once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
3. Golden Milk- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk - once or twice a day.
III Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
1. Nasal application - Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
2. Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
IV During dry cough / sore throat
1. Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day.
2. Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
3. These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
1 The above measures can be followed to the extent possible as per an individual's convenience.
2 These measures are recommended by eminent Vaidyas from across the Country as they may possibly boost an individual's immunity against infections.
The holistic approach of AYUSH systems of medicine gives focus on prevention through lifestyle modification, dietary management, prophylactic interventions for improving the immunity and simple remedies based on presentations of the symptoms. In similar symptoms common single medicinal plants like Tulsijuice or infusion(Ocimum sanctum), Guduchijuice/decoction with honey (Tinosporacordifolia), Ginger juice/decoction with honey(Zingiber officinale) and Turmericpowder in honey or warm milk (Curcuma longa) are useful. Emphasis on avoidance of causative factors and enhancing the immunity against host of infections are characteristics of Ayurveda management. The preventive aspect of Homoeopathy is also well known.
Following system wise preventive and prophylactic simple remedies may be useful which are based on potential and strength of AYUSH systems for promotion of immunity and improvement in respiratory symptoms in similar diseases as documented by the research councils under Ministry of AYUSH.
SamshamaniVati 500 mg. twice a day with warm water for 15 days. The medicine contains aqueous extract of Tinosporacordifolia.
NilavembuKudineer decoction 60 ml. twice a day for 14 days. The medicine contains aqueous extract of Andrographis paniculata& others.
A decoction prepared from boiling Behidana (Cydonia oblonga): 3 gm, Unnab (Zizyphus jujube): 5 in number, and Sapistan (Cordia myxa): 9 in number in 250 ml. water to till it remains half. Keep in a glass bottle after filtering and use it lukewarm. This decoction may be taken twice a day for 14 days.
Arsenicum album 30, daily once in empty stomach for three days. The dose should be repeated after one month by following the same schedule till Corona virus infections prevalent in the community.
The mainstay in management of corona viral infections has been supportive care, nutrition and preventing further progression in the absence of any antiviral agent or vaccine. However, in consultation with qualified physicians of respective AYUSH systems, following symptomatic management may be undertakenin similar clinical conditions.
1. AYUSH-64 : 02 tablets twice a day
2. AgasthyaHareetaki : 05 gm twice a day with warm water
3. Anuthaila/ Sesame oil 02 drops in each nostril daily in the morning
(In case of nasal irritation, only swabbing the nostrils with Sesame oil may be done)
1. NilavembuKudineer /Kaba Sura Kudineer – decoction 60ml twice a day
2. AdathodaiManapagu – Syrup 10 ml twice a day
Various medicine which found to be effective in treating flu like illness are Arsenicum album, Bryonia alba, Rhustoxico dendron, Belladonna Gelsemium Eupatorium perfoliatum.
Above mentioned system wise remedies may also be useful as add on to conventional care which should be taken under strict supervision of qualified medical practitioners within institutional care.
General preventive measures:
Observe good personal hygiene.
Practice frequent hand washing with soap.
Follow respiratory etiquettes - cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing.
Avoid close contact with people who are unwell or showing symptoms of illness, such as cough, runny nose etc.
Avoid contact with live animals and consumption of raw/undercooked meats.
Avoid travel to farms, live animal markets or where animals are slaughtered.
Wear a mask if you have respiratory symptoms such as cough or runny nose.
In addition, the following AYUSH specific measures may be adopted:
The diet should be fresh, warm, easy to digest, containing whole cereals, seasonal vegetables etc. Frequent sipping of water boiled with Tulsi leaves, crushed ginger, and turmeric would be beneficial. Cold, frozen and heavy foods may be best avoided. It is always beneficial to avoid direct exposure to cold breeze. Appropriate rest and timely sleep are advisable. The practice of Yogasana and Pranayama under the guidance of qualified Yoga instructor is recommended.