Amlodipine and its Efficiency in Cardioprotection: Review
Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) are the leading causes of death worldwide (1). As per Lancet's Global Burden of Disease Study 1990–2016 in India, cardiovascular disease contributed 28·1% of the total deaths and 14·1% of the total disability-adjusted life-years in India in 2016, compared with 15·2% and 6·9% respectively, in 1990. (12)
Amlodipine is more protective than ARBs, ACEIs, and others against stroke and MI
Amlodipine is more effective in Blood Pressure Variability than ACEIs.
• Greater membrane affinity, owing to its positive charge.
• Strong lipophilicity which prolongs the action of amlodipine.
• Antioxidant effects which are independent of calcium channel modulation.
• A vasodilatory effect via the inhibition of nitric oxide release which thus inhibits platelet aggregation.
Evidence suggestsAmlodipine is the most reasonable choice among CCBs.