- Medical news & Guidelines
- Cardiology and CTVS
- Critical Care
- Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Laboratory Medicine
- Health news
- State News
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Andhra Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Daman and Diu
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu & Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Medical Education
Charak Shapath breakdown: Here is the Oath NMC recommends young medicos to take
New Delhi: Introducing a new oath for the MBBS students, the National Medical Commission has recommended the "Modified Maharshi Charak Shapath" in the beginning of the course.
The confirmation regarding this came from the new Competency Based Medical Education for Undergraduate Course Curriculum, which mentioned, "Modified 'Maharshi Charak Shapath' is recommended when a candidate is introduced to medical education."
Apart from recommending the Charak Shapath, NMC has also included a brief transliteration of the oath. The transliteration of Maharshi Charak Shapath is as follows-
- "During the period of study I shall live a disciplined life with my teachers and peers. My action shall be guarded, service oriented and free from indiscipline and envy. In my dealings I shall be patient, obedient, humble, constantly contemplative and calm. I shall aim my full efforts and ability towards the desired goal of my profession.
- As a Physician, I shall always use my knowledge for welfare of mankind.
- I shall always be ready to serve patients, even if I am extremely busy and tired. I shall not harm any patient for the sake of monetary or selfish gains, nor shall I entertain a desire for lust, greed or wealth. immorality shall not emerge even in my thoughts.
- My dressing shall be decent yet impressive and inspiring confidence. My conduct shall always be appropriate, pleasant, truthful, beneficial and polite. I shall use my experience in actions appropriate for that time and place.
- I shall constantly endeavor to accomplish/ keep updated with the latest developments in the field and widen my knowledge.
- I shall treat patient of gender other than mine in presence of relatives or attendants.
- When examining a patient, my discretion, attention and senses shall be concentrated on the cure of the disease. I shall not divulge the confidentiality related to the patient or family inappropriately.
- Although an authority (in my subject), I shall not display my knowledge and skill with arrogance."
This comes at a time when the MoS Health Dr. Bharati Pravin Pawar has recently confirmed before the Rajya Sabha that there is no proposal to replace the centuries old Hippocratic Oath with the Charak Shapath.
Also Read: Replacing Hippocratic Oath is Unacceptable, attempt of Mixopathy: IMA
While responding to a question in Rajya Sabha, where a member inquired about the Government's plans of replacing the age-old Hippocratic Oath, Dr. Pawar had informed, "As informed by the National Medical Commission (NMC), there is no proposal of replacement of Hippocratic Oath with Charak Shapath."
Although the new MBBS curriculum introduced by NMC has not mentioned anything about "replacing" the Hippocratic Oath, the new modified version of Maharshi Charak Shapath is going to be introduced "when a candidate is introduced to medical education"
The debate concerning Hippocratic Oath Vs Charak Shapath ensued after the National Medical Commission had reportedly proposed to replace the centuries-old Hippocratic Oath with the Charakh Shapath.
The Minutes of the meeting dated 07.02.2022, which had spread like fire on the social media platforms, mentioned, "No Hippocratic Oath. During white coat ceremony (with parents) the oath will be "Maharshi Charak Shapath" present in NMC website."
Although this change was set to be implemented from February 14, 2022, the proposal faced a huge backlash from the medical fraternity. Doctors across the country expressed their strong opposition to it and some even questioned how the students of modern medicine can take an oath in the name of someone belonging to Indian System of Medicine.
Medical Dialogues had earlier reported that the Indian Medical Association had also come forward and raised its voice against the proposal. Terming it to be an attempt at Mixopathy, IMA decided to meet the Union Health Minister to discuss the issue.
Although the Health Ministry has recently confirmed that the there is no proposal is replace the Hippocratic Oath, the new MBBS curriculum introduced by NMC also mentions recommending the modified version of Maharshi Charak Shapath "when a candidate is introduced to medical education."
Also Read: No Proposal for replacing Hippocratic Oath with Charak Shapath: MoS Health
Barsha completed her MA from the University of Burdwan, West Bengal in 2018. Having a knack for Journalism she joined Medical Dialogues back in 2020. She mainly covers news about medico legal cases, NMC/DCI updates, medical education issues including the latest updates about medical and dental colleges in India. She can be contacted at email@example.com.