New Delhi: The National Board of Examinations 19th convocation awards, held recently in New Delhi, saw honours being conferred to many distinguished teachers, eminent DNB faculty as well as eminent DNB institutions for their contribution in promoting the DNB courses.
Following are the details of the winners:
NBE Excellence Awards for Teaching Institutions:
- Aravind Eye Care System, South India: One of the world’s largest and most productive eye care delivery organization, Aravind Eye Care System comprises of ophthalmology hospitals, eye banking services, teaching and research laboratories, and a manufacturing division. A WHO Collaborative Centre, it has joined hands with a number of national and international institutions in a mission to prevent blindness. Aravind Eye Care has been a torchbearer of one of the largest and most robustly run DNB programmes in ophthalmology. It annually takes 21 doctors for its primary DNB and an equal number for its post-diploma DNB programme at the Theni, Tirunelveli, Coimbatore, Pondicherry and Salem centres. Young doctors trained at Aravind Eye Hospitals have turned into some of the finest ophthalmologists the country has had.
- Army Hospital (Referral & Research) Delhi Cantonment: Raised as the Indian Military Hospital in 1917, the institution was renamed as Army Hospital (Referral & Research) Delhi Cantonment when it moved to its current abode. An apex referral and tertiary care hospital, this 1000-bed facility offers services in 32 specialties and subspecialties. A highly valued partner of the National Board of Examinations, Army Hospital (R & R) takes a total of 32 candidates for its DNB programmes. Of them, four candidates (two each) find admission to the DNB broad speciality programmes in nuclear medicine and radiation oncology, while the remaining 28 candidates join diverse streams like cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, haematology, neurology, nephrology, rheumatology, oncology, paediatric surgery, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic & vascular surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, urology, plastic surgery and onco surgery.
- Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad:A gastroenterology and hepatobiliary referral centre, Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad, is a 250- bed state-of-the-art facility. Led by Dr. D. Nageshwar Reddy, a Dr. B.C. Roy Awardee and a Padma Bhushan recipient, Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad, offers fine clinical, academic and research training facilities and is a NBE knowledge partner both for DNB medical gastroenterology and DNB surgical gastroenterology programmes.
- KG Hospital and Post Graduate Medical Institute, Coimbatore: A 350-bed multi super speciality high-tech hospital offering a variety of healthcare services, KG Hospital and Postgraduate Medical Institute Coimbatore, is run by the K. Govindaswamy Naidu Medical Trust. A hub of academic excellence, it offers DNB programme in a number of broad specialities and super specialities including family medicine, general medicine, cardiology, radiology, anesthesiology, nephrology, general surgery, orthopaedics, ophthalmology, and cardiothoracic surgery. It is also a recognized centre for the conduct of MRCS examinations. The institute became partners with National Board of Examinations in 1990. It has since then been a home
to more than 250 residents who specialized in diverse DNB speciality streams.
- Yashoda Group of Hospitals, Hyderabad: A celebrated centre of academic excellence now for three decades, Yashoda Group of Hospitals are a mega family of three big hospitals, three cardiac institutes and three cancer institutes, with 1700 beds, 62 medical specialities and 700 specialist doctors. With more than 2.5 million inpatient admissions in the last five years, and an annual number of 1,00,000 major surgeries and 2,00,000 surgical procedures, they offer the excellent opportunity for clinical training in a number of streams. The National Board of Examinations recognizes the contribution of Yashoda Group of Hospitals, Hyderabad in the running of the postgraduate DNB programme.
NBE Eminent Alumni Awards:
- Prof. O.P. Kalra- Currently holding the office of Vice-Chancellor, Pt. B.D.Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak, Prof. O.P. Kalra is a distinguished nephrologist, academic,researcher and health administrator.He has held several pre-eminent positions in the pastand has been the Principal, University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi; Dean, Faculty of Medical Sciences,University of Delhi, Medical Superintendent, Guru TegBahadur Hospital and Rajiv Gandhi Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi.He has helped establish a number of hemodialysis centres at various Government Hospitals in Delhi under the public private partnership. This has given a new lease of life to thousands of patients affected with chronic renal disease and failed kidneys.
- Dr.Rajeev B. Ahuja- Senior ConsultantPlastic& Cosmetic Surgery, at Sir Gangaram Hospital, Delhi, Dr. Rajeev B. Ahuja is an eminent plastic surgeon,academic, researcher, and teacher. He has had a distinguished innings in Plastic Surgery which spans over three decades. Until recent, he was the head of the plastic surgery department at Lok Nayak Hospital & Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, where he took the initiative of launching the country’s first DNB programme in plastic surgery in 1997.
- Dr.Shobna Jangilal Bhatia- Currently a Professor of Gastroenterology at the Seth GS Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital,Mumbai, Dr. Shobna Jangilal Bhatia is a renowned gastroenterologist, academic, researcher, and teacher.Carrying a special penchant for gut motility disorders. She was the first to establishthe clinical facility for esophageal and gut motility studies in Western India at the KEM Hospital, Mumbai, for the benefit of patients with swallowing disorders and anorectal diseases
- Dr.Sunil Kumar- Head Consultant in thedepartment of Surgery at the Tata Main Hospital, Jharkhand, Dr. Sunil Kumar is a distinguished surgeon, academic, researcher, and teacher. A Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons fromEdinburgh and London, Dr.Sunil Kumar worked at the Leeds General Infirmary, St. James Hospital, and Hull Royal Infirmary before returning to his motherland in 2001. He joined the Tata Main Hospital as a senior surgeon and became the head, Department of Surgery in 2006.
- Dr.Tejinder Singh- Currently the Professor ofPaediatrics & Vice Principal, Christian Medical College,Ludhiana, Dr. Tejinder Singh is a distinguishedpaediatrician, academic,researcher, and teacher.Wearing the twin hat of Professor and Head,Department of Medical Education, he is the founder Director of CMCL-FAIMER Regional Institute established at the Christian Medical College, Ludhiana in collaboration with the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research, Philadelphia, USA.
NBE Emeritus Teachers Awards:
- Dr.Alexander Thomas- Founder-Member and President of the Association of Healthcare Providers of India (AHPI), Dr. Alexander Thomas is a SeniorOrthopaedic Consultant, and former Director of the Bangalore Baptist Hospital, Bangalore. An eminent persona in the realm of healthcare sector, he is the Founder-Member and President of the Association of National Board Accredited Institutions (ANBAI), Founder-President (2012-2017) and Patron of the Consortium of Accredited Healthcare Organizations (CAHO), and Consultant to the World Bank
- Prof.(Dr.) M. Shantharam Shetty- Currently the Pro. Chancellor, NITTE University, Prof. (Dr.) M. Shantharam Shetty is a distinguished orthopaedic surgeon, academic, researcher, and health administrator.A brilliant teacher, he has trained hundreds of postgraduates students in orthopaedics , conducted 22 trauma courses, presented more than 270 scientific papers, 140 CME lectures and has published more than 80 scientific papers, authored two chapters and co authored a full length textbook
- Prof. (Dr.) Vinay Kumar- Chairman Emeritus,Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, Chicago (2000-2016), Prof. (Dr.) Vinay Kumar is aleading light in clinical pathology, and a researcher, academic, and author. Dr. Kumar has been in the thick of academics since 1970s. He graduated in pathology from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. On completion of his residency, he joined the Boston University School of Medicine (1972). A pioneer in the field, his major contribution has been to characterize the identity of NK cells and define their role in transplantation and infections
NBE Distinguished Teachers Awards:
- Prof. (Dr.) A. Devadoss- Currently the Chairman and Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Devadoss Multi-speciality Hospital, Madurai, Prof. A. Devadoss is a Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons from Edinburgh and Glasgow, and a M. Ch. in Orthopaedics from the University of Liverpool, UK. Until 1991, he served at the Madurai Medical College as a Professor of Orthopaedics.
- Prof. (Dr.) Alka Ganesh- Currently heading the Department of Medicine at the G. Kuppuswamy Memorial Hospital, Coimbatore, Dr. Alka Ganesh is a 1970 graduate from Christian Medical College, Vellore. She took her postgraduate degree in internal medicine from the University of Delhi, and returned to her alma mater, CMC, Vellore, in 1978 to continue as a member of faculty until 2008. A keen teacher, she has introduced a number of new teaching and learning methods in the undergraduate medical programme.
- Prof. (Dr.) Narender K. Magu- Currently senior consultant in orthopaedics at the Max Smart Super-Speciality Hospital, New Delhi, Prof. (Dr.)Narender K. Magu is an eminent orthopaedic surgeon,academic, teacher, and author.Until recent, he headed the department of orthopaedics at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak, where he developed and promoted a number of initiatives to propel the department to become a Centre of Excellence.
- Air Marshal Dr.Rajan Chaudhry- Until recent, the Director General of Medical Services (Air), Air Marshal (Dr.) Rajan Chaudhry (Retd.) is an eminent gastrointestinal surgeon, academic, and health administrator.An alumnus of the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, Dr. Chaudhry holds a postgraduate degree in surgery from the Pune University and a DNB degree in surgery from the National Board of Examinations. He took his superspecialty training in Gastrointestinal Surgery from the AllIndia Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Awarded the Vishisht Sewa Medal (2004) and the Ati Vishisht Sewa Medal (2013) for his distinguished service to the nation by the Hon’ble President of India, Air Marshal (Dr.)Rajan Chaudhry (Retd.) is a teacher and researcher par excellence
- Dr.S. Balasubramanian – Currently the Medical Director and heading the Department of Paediatrics, Kanchi Kamakoti Childs Trust Hospital, Chennai, Dr. S. Balasubramanian is an eminent paediatrician, teacher, researcher and author. A devoted researcher, he has conducted a number of field studies. He has published a large body of research on the rotavirus vaccine; MMR vaccine; pneumococcal vaccine; DTaP vaccine; seroprevalence of Hepatitis A; and surveillance of enteric fever. Extremely popular among his students, he has made an outstanding contribution to building and popularizing the concept of Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) in paediatrics.
- Prof. (Dr.) SK Bhargava- Eminent clinical radiologist, teacher, researcher and author, Prof. S.K. Bhargava’s contribution to the field of academia is enormous. An alumnus of the GVSM Medical College, Kanpur, he A born leader, gifted organizer, and a wonderful teacher, he founded the Department of Radiology at the University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, New Delhi, a department he headed for many years. He was also the Chairman, Board of Research Studies, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi. Later, he was a Visiting Professor to Nepal’s BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, where again, he founded the Department of Radiology.
- Prof. (Dr.) Smiti Nanda – Currently Senior Professor and Head, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak, Dr. Smiti Nanda is an eminent gynaecologist, teacher, researcher and author. With more than 34 years of academic career behind her, she has left her indelible footprints in the realm of obstetrics and gynaecology. She has a keen interest in gynaecological endoscopy, emergency obstetrics and gynaecological oncology, and has published close to 200 academic papers and contributed five chapters in textbook
NBE Scroll of Honour for Teaching Institutions:
- Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad- Running the DNB programme since 1993, Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, has been making a major contribution to the growth of specialist healthcare services in India. The institution runs DNB programme in 11 broad specialties and 10 super specialties; and a FNB programme in 3 subspecialties. Until now, more than 250 trainees have graduated with DNB degrees from the institution and are serving the people in their respective specialities.
- Southern Railway Headquarters Hospital, Chennai- Southern Railway Headquarters Hospital, Chennai Situated in Perambur, the Southern Railway Hospital, Chennai, is a 500-bed multi specialty hospital with a daily outpatient attendance of about 1200 patients. A referral hospital, it caters to patients from all over the country. This teaching hospital has been partners with the National Board of Examinations since long, and currently, it imparts postgraduate training in general medicine, general surgery, obstetrics & gynaecology, orthopaedic surgery, anesthesiology, paediatrics, cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery and otorlaryngology. The postgraduates are given comprehensive training and are well-equipped to observe the highest standards of patient care. Since the inception of the DNB programme, more than 500 postgraduates have graduated from this institution, and many have received gold medals.
NBE Scroll of Honour for Faculty:
- Prof. (Dr.) Sushil Kumar- Prof. (Dr.) Sushil Kumar Currently professor emeritus and senior consultant in the Department of Neurosurgery, St. Stephen’s Hospital, New Delhi, Prof. Sushil Kumar has been Dean, Maulana Azad Medical College. A brilliant surgeon, keen academic, and researcher, his contribution to neurosurgery is immense. He has published 167 scientific papers, contributed chapters to textbooks, and has been a mentor to a large number of postgraduates through their academic and clinical training programme.
- Lt. Gen. (Dr) Velu Nair- Prof Dr Velu Nair, presently is the Group Head, Medical Services & Chief Consultant in Haemato-Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant at the Amrish Group of Cancer Hospitals, Gujarat. An alumnus of the Armed Force Medical College, Pune, Dr. Velu Nair did his postdoctoral fellowship in Hematology & Bone Marrow Transplant from CMC, Vellore and UICC fellowships from King’s College & Hospital, London, and Stanford Medical University, USA. A brilliant teacher, academician and researcher,
NBE Excellence Awards for Teaching Institutions:
- Base Hospital Delhi Cantonment, New Delhi- Raised as the 26 General Hospital in November of 1941, Base Hospital Delhi Cantonment is a 1,000-bed multispecialty, tertiary care Garrison hospital of the Indian armed forces. Partnering with the National Board of radiodiagnosis, nuclear medicine, anaesthesia, cardiac anaesthesia, emergency medicine, cardiology, paediatric cardiology, neurology, nephrology, haematology, gastroenterology, general surgery, obstetrics & gynaecology, ENT, cardiothoracic surgery (direct 6- years), paediatric surgery (direct 6-years), neurosurgery (direct 6-years), peripheral vascular surgery, and urology. The fellowship programmes are being run in interventional cardiology, paediatric intensive care, paediatric haemato oncology, and critical care medicine.
- Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City, Bangalore- A seat of clinical training and academic excellence, the Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City’s DNB and FNB programmes are extremely prized and popular among the postgraduates. The institution has an excellent academic environment. It conducts regular CME programmes and workshops, has simulation labs, teaching media and a well-stocked library with a large number of e-journals.
NBE Emeritus Teacher Awards- following are the winners:
- Dr G. Bakthavathsalam: Chairman of the K.G. Hospital and Postgraduate Medical Institute, Coimbatore, Dr G. Bakthavathsalam is an eminent surgeon, academic, teacher and health administrator. Dr. G. Bakthavathsalam graduated from Madras Medical College in 1964, and received his post graduate training in surgery at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Chicago, USA.
- Dr A.P. Jain: A senior consultant and professor at the Department of Medicine, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha, Dr. A. P. Jain is a pioneer in the realm of geriatric medicine and in heralding the concept of a postgraduate programme in family medicine.
NBE Distinguished Teacher Awards -following are the winners:
- Prof. (Dr.) Piyush Gupta: Prof. (Dr.) Piyush Gupta Professor of Paediatrics at the University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi, Prof. Piyush Gupta is an eminent medical author, academician, teacher, researcher, and editor. A fellow of the Royal College of Paediatrics, UK; the Indian Academy of Paediatrics; the National Neonatology Forum, India; the National Academy of Medical Sciences, India, Prof. Piyush Gupta is also a visiting Professor to the B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal.
- Prof. (Dr.) S.K. Puri: Director-Professor and Head, Department of Radiology, at the GB Pant Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research and associated Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, Dr.Sunil Kumar Puri is an eminent radiologist, researcher, teacher and academic. He has published more than 90 scientific papers, a full-length popular work on brain imaging, and has been mentoring postgraduate students in radiology for the last more than 30 years.
- Dr.Ramesh Kancharla: Chief of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Rainbow Children’s Hospital, Hyderabad, Dr. Ramesh Kancharla in an eminent authority in his field, and a keen academic, researcher and teacher. Trained at the best institutions in the world, he received his MD in pediatrics from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore in 1992, and took his clinical training in pediatric hepatology at the King’s College Hospital, London; and in pediatric gastroenterology from the Royal Free Hospital, London, and Buckland Hospital Dover and William Harvery Hospital, Ashford, Kent, UK.