10 Doctors conferred Padma Shri in Medicine, Details
New Delhi: This year's Padma awards have been announced and 10 doctors have been conferred a Padma Shri for their contributions in the field of medicineThis year the President has approved conferment of 128 Padma Awards including 2 duo case (in a duo case, the Award is counted as one) as per list below. The list comprises 4 Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan and 107 Padma Shri Awards. 34 of...
New Delhi: This year's Padma awards have been announced and 10 doctors have been conferred a Padma Shri for their contributions in the field of medicine
This year the President has approved conferment of 128 Padma Awards including 2 duo case (in a duo case, the Award is counted as one) as per list below. The list comprises 4 Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan and 107 Padma Shri Awards. 34 of the awardees are women and the list also includes 10 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI and 13 Posthumous awardees.
While there are no doctors in the name of Padma Vibhushan, and Padma Bhushan, Vaccine makers Cyrus Poonawalla, Krishna Ella and Suchitra Ella have been named for Padma Bhushan which is the third-highest civilian award in India after Bharat Ratna and Padma Vibhushan.
While Poonawala's Serum Institute of India manufactured Covid-19 vaccine, Covishield, the Ella Duo's Bharat Biotech produced India's indigenous coronavirus vaccine, Covaxin.
Following doctors have been named for the Padma Shri:-
1) Dr Himmatrao Bawaskar- Maharashtra- An Indian Physician from Malad, 71 year old Dr Himmatrao Bawaskar is world famous for his path-breaking research on deaths caused by the sting of the red scorpion. His repeated publications about the issue through case studies in various journals drew the interest of the international medical fraternity in the subject. For the past 40 years, he has been working at a health centre at Mahad of Raigad District – Maharashtra focusing on saving the locals and tribals from scorpion and snake bite poisoning
2) Dr Prokar Dasgupta- United Kingdom- Dr. Prokar Dasgupta, Professor and Chair of Urology at King's College London is a pioneer in the field of Robotic Surgery. He has a numerous firsts in the field including first randomised controlled trial of robotic urology as well as being the founder of what is called the "Dasgupta Technique" which is method of injecting Botox into the bladder wall using a flexible cystoscope. His team is recognised internationally for the Guy's robotic cystoprostatectomy technique for bladder cancer and is the leading European group amongst the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium (IRCC). He was the first to Use of da Vinci robot to perform keyhole surgery as part of kidney transplant.
3) Dr Lata Desai- Gujarat- 80 year old Dr Lata and her husband Dr Anil, left their life in the US and came back to dedicate their lives to rural development. In 1980 they founded Society for Education, Welfare and Action-Rural (SEWA Rural) in Jhagadia, Bharuch. The society runs various programmes for health and welfare for the rural population in the area including a 200 bedded Kastubra Hospital serving patients from 3,000-odd villages as well as neighbouring states., health training, eye checkup, Mahila Vikas society and many more
4) Dr Vijaykumar Vinayak Dongre- Known for his work for Leprosy Treatment, Dr Dongre dedicated his entire life in leprosy control in urban and rural areas in Maharashtra .
5) Dr Narendra Prasad Misra (Posthumous)- Madhya Pradesh- One of Madhya Pradesh's senior-most doctors, late Narendra Prasad Misra was responsible for developing treatment protocols for victims of Bhopal Gas Tragedy as well as Covid-19.
6)Dr Sunkara Venkata Adinarayana Rao- Andhra Pradesh- The 82-year-old orthopedic surgeon Sunkara Venkata Adinarayana Rao is noted for his work for poor people particularly polio victims. Under his Free Polio Surgical and Research Foundation, He has gained respect across India, especially in North India, for his treatment of polio victims. He performed more than one lakh surgeries to date. He won many awards in his six decades of service as a doctor
7) Dr Veeraswamy Seshiah- Tamil Nadu- Renowned Diabetologist, Dr Seshiah was the first professor of Diabetology in India and was responsible for the establishment of the first Department of Diabetology in India at the Madras Medical College. He is Founder Patron, Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group of India. In the past also he has received the number of awards for his contributions to the field of Diabetology, including the Dr. BC Roy National Award
8) Dr Bhimsen Singhal - Maharashtra- Popular Neurologist, Dr Bhimsen Singhal is the Director of Neurology at Bombay Hospital Institute of Medical Sciences in Mumbai, India. Prior to this appointment, he was the Honorary Professor and Head of Department of Neurology at The Grant Medical College, Mumbai. He has helped train over 200 neurologists and prominent in the promotion of neurology including Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease etc. He discovered the entity of megalencephalic leukodystrophy with a specific gene defect in Agarwal community. In the past also he has received the number of awards for his contributions to the field of Neurology including the Dr. BC Roy National Award
9) Dr Balaji Tambe (Posthumous)- Maharashtra- Pioneer in the field of Ayurveda, Late Ayurvedacharya Dr. Balaji Tambe is known to take the field of Ayurveda and Yoga to the world. He was the founder and source of inspiration for all the activities carried out at Atmasantulana Village. A Spiritual Leader, Dr Tambe passed away last year at a private hospital in Pune on Tuesday following a brief illness
10) Dr Kamlakar Tripathi - Uttar Pradesh- MBBS, MD(Medicine), DM(Nephrology) Dr Kamlakar Tripathi is a Nephrologist and Diabetologist and the former professor Department of Medicine, Banaras Hindu University, India
Meghna A Singhania is the founder and Editor-in-Chief at Medical Dialogues. An Economics graduate from Delhi University and a post graduate from London School of Economics and Political Science, her key research interest lies in health economics, and policy making in health and medical sector in the country.She is a member of the Association of Healthcare Journalists. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact no. 011-43720751