PMC issues notice to Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital after child's death during eye surgery
Pune- The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) on Wednesday issued a notice to Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital, directing the administration to submit all medical records and case papers related to the death of a six-year-old girl during an eye surgery.
PMC Assistant Health Officer Dr Suryakant Devkar said, “We have issued a notice to the hospital to submit all necessary documents within 24 hours.”
The girl's family has filed a complaint with the police alleging medical negligence, claiming that the surgery, for which she had already been certified as "fit", resulted in internal bleeding and ultimately led to a fatal cardiac arrest.
Therefore, the family has sought an explanation as to how a minor eye procedure could escalate into internal bleeding and cardiac arrest. The child's father, Jitendra Bagade, stated, "We have filed a complaint of medical negligence to uncover the truth and to ensure that this does not happen to any other child."
Speaking to the TOI, Bagade, a mason from Ahilyanagar, said, “My daughter had a history of squint and cataract surgeries as an infant. When her vision began to deteriorate, we took her to a clinic in Shirur, where the doctor suspected that she had glaucoma and recommended that we take her to Deenanath Mangeshkar hospital, where she is a consulting ophthalmologist."
“We completed all my daughter's medical tests on May 14 and 15, and she was cleared for surgery on May 18,” he said. "My daughter was taken into the operating theatre at 8 am in a normal condition. Within half an hour, the doctor called me into the OT. She said my daughter had coughed up blood and her heart had stopped. They said they were trying to revive her,” Bagade recalled.
Despite being shifted to the ICU, she was declared dead at 11:30 AM. This tragic incident occurred just minutes after the operation.
Meanwhile, the Alankar Police have initiated a formal inquiry. Senior Police Inspector Ulhas Kadam stated, “We are currently questioning approximately 20 individuals associated with this case. We will refer this matter to the Medical Negligence Board at Sassoon General Hospital. Their expert opinion will determine whether or not an FIR will be registered for medical negligence”.
Disclaimer: This website is primarily for healthcare professionals. The content here does not replace medical advice and should not be used as medical, diagnostic, endorsement, treatment, or prescription advice. Medical science evolves rapidly, and we strive to keep our information current. If you find any discrepancies, please contact us at corrections@medicaldialogues.in. Read our Correction Policy here. Nothing here should be used as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. We do not endorse any healthcare advice that contradicts a physician's guidance. Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Advertisement Policy. For more details, read our Full Disclaimer here.
NOTE: Join us in combating medical misinformation. If you encounter a questionable health, medical, or medical education claim, email us at factcheck@medicaldialogues.in for evaluation.