Hyderabad Doctors remove 2cms chicken bone from food pipe of 10 year old
The doctors at the Continental Hospitals have successfully removed a 2 cms chicken bone stuck in the food pipe from a 10-year-old boy from Lingampally area near BHEL.
Hyderabad: The doctors at the Continental Hospitals have successfully removed a 2 cms chicken bone stuck in the food pipe from a 10-year-old boy from Lingampally area near BHEL. Considered as a foreign body in the airway that may lead to choking is a medical emergency and requires immediate attention. If not removed in time, the chocking could even lead to death.
The boy was referred to Continental Hospital two days after the freak incident, and was suffering from running temperature and required immediate intervention. A team of doctors led by Dr Raghuram Kondala, Consultant Medical Gastroenterologist, Continental Hospitals conducted an endoscopic clipping after the safe removal of the foreign boy (chicken bone) from the esophagus. With stenting, the functionality of the food pipe was fully restored to ensure no immediate or future complications.
Commenting on the procedure, Dr Raghuram Kondala said, "Such cases must be attended to immediately, as a delay could increase the risks like food pipe perforation leading to infection; long term complications; and in some cases' even may result in deaths. Because perforations are common when sharp objects like a chicken bone gets struck, it is important utmost care is taken while removing the object and stenting to ensure restoration of the functionality of the food pipe. It is always advised for the parents to keep a watch while keep are eating meats with bones or while playing with small round or sharp objects."
Treatment of such a problem varies with the location of the foreign body. If the object is in the airway, a laryngoscopy and bronchoscopy is needed to be performed to remove the item. This procedure involves passing a rigid scope into the airway, viewing the airway to find the object and then using special forceps to remove the item. If the object is in the esophagus a scope is passed into the esophagus (esophagoscopy) and special tools are used to remove the stuck, swallowed item. Once the foreign body is removed the child typically recovers quickly.
Continental Hospitals, one of the leading healthcare facilities in South India is well-equipped to handle complex surgeries and procedures to lease new life into patients in times of emergency. And at least two cases of accidentally consuming foreign bodies are reported in a month and treated at the Continental Hospitals.