Chennai: Fire breaks out at Rajiv Gandhi government hospital, no casualties reported
Chennai: A major fire broke out due to a suspected electrical short circuit at the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital in Chennai yesterday.Fortunately, there were no casualties Three oxygen cylinders kept in the old building exploded, triggering panic among the people. According to an official of the Fire and Rescue Services Department, they received a call about the accident at 11...
Chennai: A major fire broke out due to a suspected electrical short circuit at the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital in Chennai yesterday.Fortunately, there were no casualties
Three oxygen cylinders kept in the old building exploded, triggering panic among the people.
According to an official of the Fire and Rescue Services Department, they received a call about the accident at 11 am, and immediately four tenders were pressed into service to douse the flames in one of the blocks.
Minister for Medical and Family Welfare Ma Subramanian, Health Secretary J Radhakrishnan, and Corporation of Chennai Mayor R Priya along with senior officials rushed to the spot and supervised the dousing and rescue operation.
"All patients have been evacuated safely. The fire broke out in one of the older buildings, the new three blocks are safe from fire. So far no report of casualties or injuries have been reported," Dr. J Radhakrishnan, Principal Secretary (Health) for the Tamil Nadu government said.
"Electrical failure is the suspected cause of the blaze. The Intensive Care Unit and other wards are on the same floor where fire broke out. Soon after information was received fire tenders reached the spot. All the patients who were on that floor were shifted safely to other wards," the Minister told reporters.
Fire and Rescue services personnel used a sky lift to rescue the patients and others stuck inside the building.
"We received information around 11 am, and after executing the local fire safety measures, all the patients have been evacuated safely," Radhakrishnan said.
While speaking with HT, One patient named Jayaseelan who was admitted to the hospital with leg injuries said "We were eating at 11 am in their ward. We could see smoke from the nearby building at 11 am and it increased by 11.30 am. The nurses gave us confidence that nothing will happen to us. But when the smoke increased in our rooms, they announced for those who can walk to take the stairs and go out. I can't walk. Three of my friends were also in the ward so we decided to stay. But as the situation got worse, the doctors used stretchers to bring us down. Now we are safe."
Health Minister M Subramanian immediately rushed to the spot and said "This was an unexpected accident which happened due to a short circuit. Around 10 (oxygen) cylinders which were inside have also been removed. The hospital's health staff and fire department personnel have acted very quickly."
Subramanian told The Indian express that "Soon after the fire broke out, hospital workers immediately shifted the patients to another block. Three patients who were admitted at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) were also rescued. Several fire rescue personnel have been deployed to bring the fire under control. The officials have informed us that there are no casualties or injuries to anyone. All the 99 patients in the old surgical unit besides 3 in the Intensive Care Unit were safely evacuated."